Saturday, May 18, 2013

Marking Time

Didn't have time to find those pictures yesterday, but I did get a package in the mail.  Three books by Arnold Snyder which outline his advice.  Not bad reading so far -- he takes time to explain things, and he tosses in lots of examples to play with.    And he's another person who is emphasizing pairs in his marking method.  Well, at least he is in volume two.  I'm looking foward to seeing what he's got up his sleeve in volume three!

It always strikes me as odd that so many solvers want to avoid marking  until their brains are full.  I mark pairs and twoshares right from the start when I solve a sudoku, even when it's labelled "easy".  It doesn't mean I can't eyeball my way to an answer -- I have to do that all the time when I'm bifurcating.  But it does mean that the way I've internalized the patterns of logic in a puzzle is with repetition of hand as well as eye. 

And then, when I do hit a place where the thinking gets harder, I've already done all the scratchwork.  I can concentrate on my next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment