Saturday, May 11, 2013

Still more ways...

I'm tremendously amused by the fact that as I finally got around to trying to explain my method without going after a publisher, I've been finding more and more people who have invented the same wheel with different words and variations.

If you'd like to see the draft of what I meant to send off, it's over here.  I've refined my vocabulary a bit since, but hey, it's something.  I've no idea if it will print right from googledocs, but the spacing is definitely messed up, so if you want a copy, ask me to email the original.

One of the more interesting solving/marking methods I've come across is by Caro Eardley, in her book Win at Sudoku.   She's even used it to solve AI Escargot, which hit the net several years ago with the reputation of being the world's hardest sudoku.  (And it's pretty darn hard, I'll agree!)

Today I found a new e-book, The Annotated Sudoku by Craig Williams, on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and glancing through, I can see that he's another person who has figured out the basic principle.  You've got to keep track of your thinking.

Yesterday, I found a link  to a book which has been translated from the Spanish, by Gus Coyote, which explains a marking method that emphasizes pairs (and it's a pretty good system, imho.)  And he's got a great quote.

"A short pencil is better than a long memory."

(Still working on that camera thing.  It's a bit frustrating that every sudoku book publisher in the world wants you to get written permission before you can copy anything from their books.  I'm going to have to shift a puzzle for you, I think...)



No comments:

Post a Comment